Wuhu, China

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


Zhe Pagoda 

History of the Sister City Relationship 

West Covina is a very diverse community. Over the past several years, the Chinese population of the community has been increasing. In recognition of the growing Chinese influence on the community from businesses, restaurants, and shopping centers, the City of West Covina desired to expand its sister city program to China. On February 5, 2008 the City of West Covina approved the formation of a sister city relationship with Wuhu, China.

A copy of the sister city agreement can be viewed by visiting the following link
Icon-pdf Wuhu Sister City Agreement.

  


Information on Wuhu, China 

Wuhu, China is a city located in the southeastern portion of Anhui Province and the southern bank of the lower reaches of the Yangtze River, about 229 miles west of Shanghai, encompassing 1,300 square miles. The population of Wuhu is estimated to be 3,842,100 residents, according to the City of Wuhu,China's Website.  

With mountain ranges of the Southern Anhui in the south and Jianghuai Plain in the north, the City of Wuhu is located at the Anhui Section, the confluence of the Yangtze River and Qingyi River.

Wuhu is a major trade port with major rail and highways centrally located to move goods from the manufacturing facilities in Wuhu. Chery Automobile is based in Wuhu, providing opportunities for other related products like auto parts, wiring, and electronics to be manufactured. Wuhu is also a major cement producer and home to two air-conditioner manufacturers.

Wuhu is known to have been inhabited since at least 770 BC. It became a strategically important town during China's Three Kingdoms period (220-280 AD), when it was controlled by the Eastern Wu. At this time it was known as Jiuzi. Under the Ming dynasty Wuhu developed into a major commercial center and river port, and since that time has been known as a center of the rice trade.  In 1644, the Hongguang Emperor, one of the last emperors of the Ming Dynasty, was captured by forces of the new Qing Dynasty in Wuhu. The City became a treaty port in 1876 and has remained a commercial center since that time.

Wuhu was occupied by Japan during World War II.  Major industries began to be developed in Wuhu after World War II, with the development of the textile industry, shipbuilding, and paper mills.   In addition, Wuhu served as a commercial center for trade in rice, silk, cotton, tea, wheat and eggs.  In recent years, Wuhu's economy has improved with the expansion of manufacturing in the area.

Additional information can also be found by visiting the Wikipedia page for Wuhu, China.   

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player QuickTime Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer

Sister City of Wuhu, China

Updated on 08/14/2014 4:03 PM

Photos from West Covina's Sister City of Wuhu, China

View Full Site