The Housing Preservation Program focuses on preserving homes within the City of West Covina. The City Manager's Office through the Community and Economic Development (CED) division, makes loans available to moderate-income homeowners that are in need of exterior improvements. In addition, the CED works with code enforcement in providing loans to homeowners that have been identified as requiring exterior improvements to their home. The HPP is once again made available thanks to the City of West Covina City Council, who approved to reinstate the program.
Applications are now being accepted to participate in the Housing Preservation Program. Please complete the program application and submit to the Community and Economic Division. If you have any questions concerning the application please contact Gerardo Rojas at (626) 939-8417 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Over the past several years, a large percentage of the housing stock within the City has matured and is now in need of a face-lift. This Program was adopted as part of the budget to protect, preserve, and improve the single-family housing stock in West Covina.
The Program will provide eligible, moderate-income West Covina homeowners a low-interest home improvement loan of up to $10,000. Loans repaid within the first ten (10) years will not accrue interest and after the tenth year, loans will accrue simple interest at a rate of 5 percent per annum until they are paid in full. To be eligible, a single-family home must be the primary residence and the homeowner must have resided in the home for a minimum of twelve (12) months.
- Must be a homeowner residing within the City of West Covina.
- Loan applies to exterior improvements only.
- Maximum loan of $10,000 plus a $50 processing fee.
- Homeowners are required to execute promissory note secured by a deed of trust.
- Income must meet qualifying income guidelines (see below).
2016 Maximum Income Limits
|Family Size||Annual Income||Family Size||Annual Income|
(Based on current effective median income of Los Angeles County. Revised annually as set forth in 25 Cal. Code Regs. Section 6932) As of May 24, 2016.
- When the property is sold or title is transferred (includes transfer within family).
- Upon the death of the Title holder(s) of the property [the homeowner(s)].
- Upon the homeowner refinancing their primary loan(s) or a take-out financing.
- If the homeowner is in default of the loan agreement.
- When the property fails to be maintained according to City building codes.
- When the homeowner no longer resides in the house.
Maximum Loan Amount: $10,000
Interest Rate: 5% after year 10
Fees to Borrower: $50 processing fee
- Monthly loan payments will begin after year 10.
- Loan will accrue simple interest at a rate of 5 percent per annum after year 10 and monthly loan payments will begin.
- Only licensed contractors can be used. All payments will be made upon completion of work.
- Homeowners previously given a loan through the Home Improvement Loan Program are not eligible to receive a Housing Preservation Program Loan.
- The City of West Covina does not subordinate loans approved under the Housing Preservation Program. Homeowners will be required to execute a promissory note secured by a deed of trust.
- Reverse Mortgages do not qualify.
Phase One: Loan Application
- Application Submittal
- Pre-Qualification Approval/Denial
- Property Inspection by Staff
- Certification of Approved List of Improvements
Phase Two: Loan Funding
- Execution of Loan Documents
- Authorization to Start Work
Phase Three: Construction Monitoring
- Completion of Work
- Homeowner Satisfaction Statement
- Payment of Contractor
Phase Four: Loan Repayment
- Loan Repayment
If you have any questions concerning the program please contact Gerardo Rojas at (626) 939-8417 or email him at email@example.com.
Additional Housing Resources
Whether it is getting loan assistance or housing upgrades, there are housing resources available for homeowners.